Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Doctor's appointment--good news

I went to the doctor this afternoon, and I got a favorable report!!
I tore the tendons on the inside of my left knee that hold the knee cap in place. It's good that it happened as a trauma because the liklihood of it happening again once it's healed is low (unless I had another similar trauma). Right now, I'm supposed to take it easy until the swelling and pain go down. Then, I can gradually put more and more weight on it with the immobilizer and crutches and then without the immobilizer and crutches until it feels stable again. He told me to go at my own pace and listen to how stable my knee feels. It may take a few weeks. I will just need to be careful about twisting my knee or pivoting on that leg for awhile.

He gave me some exercises to keep my quadriceps strong. Building up my quadricep muscles will help keep my patella in place in the future. He wants me to really start exercising that leg once the baby is born. I guess that's another good reason to hit the gym as soon as possible.

Please pray that my knee as strong before I go into labor, and that it heals quickly.
Marc will be taking a picture of me with the splint and crutches and posting it soon I'm sure!!

My mom is coming into town today and planning on staying for about 10 days until my knee is stronger. That will help a lot because there are a lot of every day things that I can't do with the crutches.

Wendi

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi Wendi!
Gino called and updated me on your latest adventure..Thank you, Jesus that you and the baby are ok. I am so sorry that you have to be on crutches. I am so to the point of wanting to be back to "normal" ,(as in, being able to sleep on my stomach!!) that I can imagine the fun of being on crutches. Hang in there, we are praying for a quick recovery! I loved seeing the pictures of you at your shower...you are so cute pregnant. You look GREAT!!
Lots of love,
Tracy and family

Mandy said...

Good news! I'm sure Aunt Carol will be a lifesaver and I was really glad to hear that she was coming down. Take it easy - let her wait on you as much as you can stand!