Sunday, September 14, 2008

My what a difference a day makes!!

Today has been one of those crazy days!! Last night, I gave Olivia (one of my labs) a prednisone tablet because her allergies were flaring up. I know better than to do that at night because it makes her have to go to the bathroom, but I did it anyway. Of course we woke up to a puddle on the floor in front of the back door. So, I was cleaning everything this morning including the large dog bed that we have in our den. The dog bed is really big so I stuffed it into the washer; I'd done it before and it was fine.

While the washer was going I had my ipod on, so I didn't hear that it was having any problems. Our washer and dryer are in our garage. I vacuumed and mopped, and then went out to check the washer. The washer hose had come loose, and water was all over the garage floor. I went to pull the dog bed out of the washing machine, and I had to pull pretty hard. I already had the dryer door open behind me. Somehow, when I pulled I lost my balance on the wet cement and fell backwards. I guess I fell at a weird angle, and my left knee cap popped out of place and then back in place. ( A traumatic lateral patella luxation is what we call it in vet med). I continued to fall backwards and landed on my right hip on the concrete. It all happened very quickly.

Marc was at church helping with the kids, so I was home by myself laying on the floor of the garage with my head almost under my car crying and wondering how in the world I would make it to my cell phone in our kitchen. (Do you feel sorry for me yet?) I pulled myself together, somehow stood up on my good leg and hopped into the house. Then, my phone started to ring. I didn't make it in time to grab the home phone, but I did grab my cell when it rang next. It was my mom!!!

Perfect timing for mom to call so I could cry and tell her what happened and she could tell me what to do!! Marc came home from church and took me to the emergency room. Of course things like this happen on the weekends. The ER sent me to the labor and delivery department where they hooked me up to a monitor and did a non stress test. Everything looked great with the baby which was the main thing I was worried about.

Then, I went back to the ER to have my knee checked. They did x-rays and nothing was broken. I've sprained ligaments in my left knee, and I can't put any weight on it right now. They put it in an immobilizing bandage and gave me crutches. I have to make an appointment with an orthopedist this week--just to make sure I didn't tear my ACL or something crazy like that. I'm not sure how long I have to wear the splint or keep weight off of my leg. Right now, I have to ice it, keep it elevated, and stay off of it as much as possible. You can imagine the sight of an 8 month pregnant woman on crutches!! My arm muscles and my right leg are going to be really strong when all of this is over.

Marc is taking such great care of me. He is at the grocery store right now, and he has made the sofa in the den into a hospital bed for me. We live in a 2 story house, so we are going to have to get into a routine for all of this. The animals were terrified of my splint and the crutches when I first came home.

I will let you guys know what the orthopedist says. Hopefully, I will not be on the crutches for very long. Please send me an email if you have time; I'll have a lot of down time over the next couple of weeks I'm sure.

Wendi*/

No comments: